Sunday, March 23, 2008

Happy Easter!

Easter was yesterday for us in New Zealand, but you all are probably laying on the couch or sleeping right now porked out from too much food from your Easter meal today. I love that about holidays! The yummy food that is.

We woke up yesterday on our Easter morning at the very crowded (by NZ standards anyway) holiday park in Westport. Andy cooked a delicious brunch of egg, sausage, cheese and tomato sandwiches, muesli, fruit, juice and coffee. We then headed up the west coast about an hour and a half drive to Karamea where we stayed the night. We took a hike along the coast toward Scott's Beach among native bush until we saw a flood in front of us on the path! We looked left and right and tried to blase our own trail to no avail (who knew this was a poem?). So, what better to do than take off our socks and shoes and wade through it. We were glad we did, as Scott's Beach was completely secluded and just beautiful despite the heavy mist and fog.

On our single burner I cooked up ham, potatoes, kumera and veggies at our DOC campsite right on the beach for dinner. The sun was setting, waves were crashing and all was lovely except - SANDFLIES! They bite. Bad. Dozens of them all over us. Andy brought mosquito net hats thankfully and here we were covered from head to toe with only our hands exposed. It was quite a sight, the two of us drinking our wine through the nets, me cooking and Andy trying to start a fire. I have a bit of a phobia with these bugs especially I discovered. Wine was a nice antidote, and as soon as the sun went down they disappeared. Apparently though you must cover yourself 100%, as the top of one of my fingers, my palm and my hip all got bitten anyway. I shudder to think of those buggers flying up my pants!!!

Today another hike to these beautiful arches, one of which is the tallest in the southern hemisphere 37 meters. The folige in this forest was my favorite so far - dripping moss, tall trees, dozens of types of ferns - I think I saw a hobbit!

Tonight we are heading south along the west coast...who knows where the evening will find us. Hope your Easter was a great one and we are thinking of you!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home