Monday, March 10, 2008

My Feet Hurt!

I am beat! Andy and I went for a long hike up into Abel Tasman National Park today, a 4 hour journey to the beautiful Anchorage Bay. My feet were killing me the whole way there because, I discovered, my shoes really suck. That is the first thing I am going to buy when we get to a bigger town, along with a pair of jeans and gloves. It gets pretty nippy at night. I took a boat back to our campsite here at the entry point to the park while Andy is enduring the 4 hour return trek home. I feel pretty wimpy right about now, but my left foot is screaming at me so I thought I would listen to it. I jumped on a boat with some return kayakers who seemed like they had a wonderful time on the glistening turquoise blue waters for the day. Maybe we'll do that tomorrow - my arms can burn instead of my feet!

The south island is unbelieveable. There is a stunning, dramatic vista around every turn. Cicadas sing all day long in the forest and lush ferns and trees are all around. After spending a few days in Picton hiking, we decided to head west to the National Park. What a place! We stopped in Havelock North on our way here to try some of their famous green-lipped mussels. I am not a shellfish sort of a girl, but fresh mussels grilled in garlic butter, hell, I would eat just about anything grilled in garlic butter!

Recently, however, I have been feeling a little bit unsettled. It really is very strange to not be going back to work now after being on a few weeks of what feels like vacation. I am having these urges to plan, to accomplish, to do something that in the western world that I call home would make me feel valued and worthwhile. I have to constantly remind myself that returning client phone calls, running meetings, doing errands and going to the gym are not the only ways in which I can accomplish. Being at peace inside the silence of myself is proving to be a more difficult challenge for me than landing a huge client. Who knew?

2 Comments:

Blogger Drolet/Harvey Adventures said...

Finding peace and contentment is hard work. I am still working on it 2 1/2 years after retirement. You will be back in your old life, or something like it, before you know it - so enjoy every moment and get new shoes!!

March 10, 2008 at 10:08 PM  
Blogger The Solution said...

inner peace is overrated! Get in touch with your inner beast. you are in New Zealand - the adventure sport capital of the world -go get your fix on!!! Go skydiving, canyoning, rafting, kayaking, bungee jump...get crazy.

March 13, 2008 at 11:24 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home