Friday, February 22, 2008

Day 3 in Fiji


It has been cloudy and sprinkling all day which is a welcome break from the intense sun. Yesterday, after a breakfast of fruit (papaya and banana), muesli, toast, coffee and juice, we took a hearty and somewhat advanced 3+ hour jungle hike to a beautiful waterfall into the mountains to the north. I was surprised to not see many animals besides the occasional caterpillar, butterfly and spider, as the jungle feels much like the one in the biologically rich Osa Peninsula in Costa Rica. The river, plants and Sedona-like red mud were enough to delight the senses anyway. A group of 15 of us from the resort went together with our local guide from the next town. He is full of knowledge about the local plants - so much of it is used in daily life for things such as making tea, weaving mats, creating roofs and of course to eat. The air is so amazingly fresh and clean, it makes my skin and hair constantly feel as though I have just returned from the spa! (Mom and Dad, you will be most happy to know that I have constantly been wearing SPF 30 with not even close to a burn.) Before dinner last night, I practiced yoga on the beach feeling very Zen-like, with the soft roar of the waves and the feeling of gentle breeze on my skin like soft down pillows. Denaka (thank you), Fiji. This experience is certainly is opening a spiritual portal within.

It is a trip to constantly be around other long term travelers. It is the norm around here, unlike the feeling while in the States that we were somewhat of the "odd couple" choosing to make this trek. Everyone is so friendly and happy to share their stories about other places they have traveled around the world. Most just graduated from college or left their job and are on sabbatical - yes, they get their jobs back after 6 - 12 months on the road (true for Aussies and Europeans). We already have some great tips for NZ and Australia and some folks to cross paths with again.

Today I awoke and read my book in a hammock and went for a nice swim in the ocean after breakfast. A jellyfish stung my upper lip of all places - I felt a fiery, intense burn as I ran to the shore for some ice. I could feel the redness and puffiness increasing by the second! Luckily and to my great surprise, it dissipated after an hour and I can't even see or hardly feel it now. This afternoon, we learned how to weave a basket, hat, star, grasshopper, fish and bow from palm leaves. Mali, the local instructor, was laughing as we foreigners tried our hands at these complicated weaves. His laugh was so charming and contagious that the rest of us couldn't help but giggle beside him. We snacked on a coconut after and played some frisbee.

More photos to come. For now, time to read in a hammock, yes, again!

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

It sounds wonderful! We are really jealous. Uncle Tim and I have talked about taking a trip after retirement. I think I will like this blog stuff, once I get used to it. Much love to both of you! Aunt Nancy

February 23, 2008 at 9:51 AM  
Blogger Maple Lam said...

Looks amazing! What a wonderful experience you are having! I am so impressed! :-D

February 25, 2008 at 4:21 PM  
Blogger Dad Bergdahl said...

A&S - Day 3 looked like fun. Good to see that you are learning basket weaving, can you please make a 25"X16"X . . . just kidding. This day really look like a very fun day in the river and at the falls. How many cameras did the guy have who took the pictures at the falls? Love, Dad

February 26, 2008 at 9:08 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi, this is Nancy Speckmann, Devon, Jennifer and Ashley Brown's mother. I am enjoying your blogs and will enjoy the pictures later, but felt compelled to comment on the working conditions of everyone else in the world but us. Darn capitalism, you can't live with it and you can't live without it. I wish we had paid vacations here. Most people do not. Those that do get 2 weeks after putting in 2 years of work.

I am proud of you for bucking US tradition and following your heart. "You go guys".

Love,

Nancy (nspeckma@mail.sdsu.edu)

March 10, 2008 at 8:15 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home