Sunday, September 14, 2008

On the Road Again...to Skopelos, Greece

(Written September 10, 2008) I am tired of listening to people talk. For the first time in weeks, I am sitting alone in a beautiful hotel room with nothing but the quiet hum of Andy’s Apple computer and the gentle tapping of the Mac keys. I am a Windows Girl at heart, but there is something much calmer about the sound of punching Mac keys. For 3 ½ weeks straight, we have done nothing but socialize with loved ones. While I immensely enjoyed the heart-warming interactions, I am burnt out with being “on” all the time. It’s interesting how I can feel the strong dichotomy of an immense love and joy with connecting with friends and family after six months of void, yet completely pooped out with the notion of talking to anyone. Ahh quietude. I can feel my fuel tank being filled by the minute.

We made it back to Athens, Greece after almost 24 hours of travel. I surprised myself with the amount of patience I felt during this time. In the past, I would sigh as I looked at my watch, sizing up just how much time was spent or wasted in the wrong line for instance. Now, while it certainly isn’t the most exciting time, I accept the situation for what it is and realize that whether I stand in line for 5 or 50 minutes, it is what it is. It’s nice to not feel worried about the things I cannot control. Instead, I take the time to enjoy the present moment because that’s all we ever have. I take deep breaths, make eye contact and smile at other people. It’s amazing how this mental space can bring such peace and clarity within. And things tend to work out pretty smoothly.

The metro finally dumped us at our station and we climbed up into the hot evening Athens sun. I surprised myself again how calm I felt with not knowing where we were. There was a time that my heart would flutter with nervousness upon entering a new town, disoriented and confused with signs in a different language, new noises and smells. Though each time, we patiently studied a map, found the nearest street corner, pulled out our trusty compass and found our way. Sometimes it would take longer than others, but dozens of times we would reach our desired destination without fail. So now I rest with a feeling of comfort with my home on my back that we will make it. We always do.

I am looking forward to another relaxing time in Skopelos, this time with Andy’s Mom and stepdad. Our friends Jeremy & Bonni (Wedding #1 for us in Oregon) are also honeymooning there at the same time! Good thing I have this peace and quiet now because socializing with loved ones is again right around the corner. And now I am looking forward to it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home