Sunday, October 12, 2008

Amsterdam


Photo Album. I am ill for the first time during our world travels. Not sure if it was the cold weather change, the Oktoberfest craze or what, but when we arrived in Amsterdam on the morning of October 7 after an overnight train ride my nose was a faucet and my throat was quite swollen. Alas. Amsterdam would be the perfect place to rest for 5 days.

Andy and I arrived at "Luca's House," a room rental in a flat we found on Craigslist. The location was just perfect in a quiet neighborhood south of the Jordaan District. Our hostess was very kind and courteous and my eyes opened wide at the sight of a large, comfortable and cozy bed. My fuel tank was empty and I needed rest like a fish needs water. I slept a lot.

Amsterdam is a very special place. The town itself is absolutely beautiful, with fresh air, old brownstone buildings, reflecting canals and bicycles everywhere. I was in shock just how fit, fashionable, happy and healthy everyone seemed! The tourist season is over so it was a treat to see this town in its daily residential action. The vibe is very laid back and accepting. We were walking towards the entrance of the supermarket Albert Hein one afternoon. The man in front of us stopped and another man exiting the store stopped. "You go," one says. "No, you go," the other man says. "No really, go ahead," the first one says. "Please, you sir," the other one says. Finally, I said, "Ok, I will go then!" as I brushed past them with a smile. The people are consistently courteous and positive, I couldn't believe it. It was a treat to enter any sort of retail facility and receive eye contact and smiles from the employees. Some were even humming. I was telling Andy this would be a great city to raise a child in. Ok, too far from home but I will still always believe this to be true.

You can walk all over this tidy and clean city and that is precisely what we did. Walk, walk and more walking. We went to the Van Gogh Museum, the Ann Frank House and meandered through Vondlpark. We sat in coffee shops and cafes and killed an afternoon or two playing dominoes and journaling (thanks for the colored watercolor pencils, James!). We had beautiful weather, around 55 or 60 degrees and partly sunny every day. People watching was one of my favorite activities. I stayed in awe.

Did we go to the Red Light District, you ask? Of course. We walked through and heard a live band playing on a canal bridge as we peeked inside the red shrouded windows. Some women were smiling, some on their cell phones and others starting to get busy before the curtains closed. We marveled at the peace and acceptance of it all. These women are insured and pay taxes. The society works! But wouldn't it be weird if their ex boyfriend or parents walked by? Andy wondered. Who knows? But for as accepting as the culture is, I don't necessarily think so.

There is no place like Amsterdam. We will be back, indeed.

2 Comments:

Blogger The Solution said...

There is a striking resemblance between ANB and V. Van Gogh!

October 13, 2008 at 11:53 AM  
Blogger Drolet/Harvey Adventures said...

It brings back memories of my month in Amsterdam. It is still beautiful!
Love, Mom

October 17, 2008 at 1:22 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home