Wednesday, November 5, 2008

OBAMA 2009 – 2012. Yes We Can!

I knew that I would cry either way on November 4, and thankfully they were tears of joy! We are back in Munich, Germany with our wonderful friends Robert and Simone who invited us back to see the concert Osaka Monaurail (Tramp Records), a Japanese funk band. An unprecedented band to celebrate with an unprecedented new President of the USA. Hell yes.

The evening began with a crew of 15 Germans for a pre-party at Simone & Robert’s flat with Tegernseer beers and sounds of late 60s hard funk to set the mood right. It was special to drink this Bavarian microbrew because on Monday, Rob took us to Tegern Lake (seer is lake in German) on a hike. We climbed 500 meters to an alpine mountaintop with stunning views of the rugged Alps in the distance (photos to come).

A 20-minute walk through downtown Munich took us to the Atomic Café packed to the gills with very tall men and women. In a sea of Germans, Andy has never seemed so short to me! We anxiously awaited Osaka Monaurail amidst the electric air with anticipation for not only the band, but also the election results.

“We have a special show for you tonight,” the singer says, “an opportunity. I want you to let it go. Let the music move you in any way you like. Don’t fight it folks, just get fuuuuuuuunky!”

And damn, the funk rocked the house! In true James Brown style, the lead singer had the moves getting sideways and the sounds of “ooowww!” escaping from his contorted mouth. We took a break from shaking our booties to have a drink – a specialty beverage called the “Barack Obama” – port wine and brandy on ice with a twist of lime. Video footage from CNN filled the big screen as sound shots from the news mixed in DJ style with the music adding to the crowd’s excitement. We danced the night away.

It is interesting to be in a foreign country and hear opinions about the US Elections. It’s amazing to me how much Germans care, and have been waiting just like us with baited breath. In fact, there is a German newspaper SZ that took a poll of their German readers who they want to win the US election. An astounding 94% want Obama.

Before today, in my silent moments on the train or waiting for the bus, I found myself wishing for Obama’s victory. I prayed that he will have the opportunity make a change in our spiraling world and fix our image as Americans. Andy asked me, “But what in your daily life will really change if Obama is elected?” After careful thought I replied, “It will give me hope.”

I’ve wanted to be proud to be an American citizen and quite frankly I have been somewhat embarrassed. Traveling the world for 8 months we get the question a lot and I have wished I could answer differently. I am sad for myself reading that statement. But now, I smile as I look forward to saying that I am proud to be an American. This is a beautiful, magical day for us.

Thank you, Mr. Obama. You are the face of hope in our world!
From Germany: Neuschwanstein Castle


P.S. I am reading his 1994 book at the moment entitled “Dreams From My Father.” I recommend it!

2 Comments:

Blogger Drolet/Harvey Adventures said...

Yes, we can!! What a great night. I had just come off hours of calling to get out the vote. Walked in at 7:50 and Obama was declared the winner a little after 8. Shortest election in my memory!
His book is a wonderful way to get to know him.
Love, Mom D.

November 5, 2008 at 11:04 PM  
Blogger The Solution said...

si se puede!

November 11, 2008 at 1:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home