Monday, November 10, 2008

Have you ever wondered?

Well, to be honest, I never had. In fact, the prospect had never crossed my mind. Not until I was drawn to that little picture was I able to cognitively form the thought. The drawing was on the label. It drew me in, intrigued me a little. Could it be? Does Stacy know? Doubtful.

As it were, Stacy & I have found ourselves in the majesty of the Dolomite Mountains, somewhere lost in the cultural divide of Austria, Germany & Italy.; a place where no one really knows which language to speak, but definitely not the English one. What an incredibly beautiful place, especially in this, the off-season which we lucked into by happenstance.
From Italy: The Dolomites in the Alps


As we love to do, we shop for our meals, if we go out to eat 1 meal in 10 its an anomaly. Bread, cheese, veggies, fruit, muesli, wine of course & salami are all staples in our worldly diet (at least now that we have left SE Asia!). Picnic style is Berglon Style!

As I prepared our homemade pizza dinner a few days ago at the wonderful place we call home, the Maurerhof House, I saw something that would shape our grocery shopping forever. It has become one of those unpredictable tidbits that crosses your path and is always remembered. Like the crazy camp dude in Upper Hutt, NZ or the vicious overnight buses in Vietnam, these moments are the ones that make us laugh and cringe all at once.

The toppings I’d planned (yes, I cook occasionally) were fresh tomatoes, zucchini, mozz and salami. I always like to do my best Benihana chop on the cutting board when I get the chance and this night was no exception. But when it came to the phalic paper-encased salami I had to stop and look closer. My Italian comprehension escaped me at the time (shocker!), but the black & white line-drawn image on the label could not be more palpable. Cacciatore Equino, the label read, which, along with the image seen here,
From Milking a Cow?
was all the evidence this detective needed, to know that rides on the ranch and Elmer’s glue were not the only things our favorite 4-legged stallions were good for.

Cacciatore Equino has a distinct smoky flavor, but honestly, I would not have thought twice about sinking my teeth into it otherwise. Nevertheless, I did not download the news to the wife until AFTER she loved the pizza. “Honey, guess what?”

Needless to say, that will be our last experiment with horse meat…hopefully.

Cheque Please!

1 Comments:

Blogger Drolet/Harvey Adventures said...

You have eaten some strange things on this trip. I hope the wine was great that went with the pizza! Strange how our culture stops us from really enjoying what other cultures eat and experience.

November 11, 2008 at 12:14 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home